Handloom industry in Chhattisgarh
Handloom industry is established as one of the major cottage industry in the Chhattisgarh state. In view of vast scope for employment in the industry and the rich cultural heritage of weaving, handloom weaver and handloom industry are encouraged though various scheme and programs.
Chandrakant Verma (I.A.S)
There are about more than 18000 handlooms working in this state, about 54000 persons are employed directly and indirectly. Tussar silk fabrics of Janjgir-Champa and Raigarh district of the Chhattisgarh state has got national and international recognition about 4000 looms are engaged in tussar fabric production in this area. Cotton handloom fabrics of Raipur, Balodabazar, Mahasamund, Durg, Rajnandgaon, Dhamtari, Balod, Bastar and Sarguja District has their own unique identification.
In this spirit, the Chhattisagrh state handloom development & marketing co-operative federation Raipur was registered in 20/12/2000, exclusively to undertake the promotion of handloom sector of the state and to generate more employment through handloom industry.
At present 284 primary weavers co-operative societies are associated with federation. To generate more employment for the weavers of the state, government cloth supply schemes has been introduced by Chhattisgarh government. Under this scheme, It is mandatory to all government departments/public sector units to purchase all there cloths requirements from Chhattisgarh state handloom development & marketing co-operative federation Raipur for which necessary provisions are made in Government store purchase rule 2002 (Rule 08). Chhattisgarh state handloom development & marketing co-operative federation Raipur produced 59 type of cloth for various government department according to their requirement.
- Provide resource, technical assistance to the weavers, enable them to develop and improve their methods of manufacture, management, production techniques and marketing of their products.
- To generate employment through government supply scheme.
- Undertake procurement and distribution of various raw material for production of handloom fabrics.
- To establish and maintend the showroom for giving marketing support to weavers societies.
- To organizes expo and participate in exhibitions and trade fairs to display and exhibit the handloom products.
- To implement various welfare schemes intended for the co-operative weavers.
- To provide continuous employment opportunity and fair wages to the co-operative weavers throughout the year.
- To revive old traditional handloom glory of the state.
- To uplift the socio-economic condition of weavers, handloom societies and handloom industry by creating more job opportunities of local masses.